As a minimum 80 people have been killed after a truck slammed into a crowd of human beings celebrating Bastille Day inside the southern French town of Nice.
Right here’s what an eyewitness had to say:
AFP correspondent Robert Holloway, who changed into the various crowd celebrating France’s national day on Nice’s promenade des Anglais, had to guard his face from flying debris as the truck plunged two kilometres (1.3 miles) along the beachfront, mowing people down. “It turned into absolute chaos,” Holloway said.
“We noticed people hit and bits of particles flying round. I needed to shield my face from flying debris.” at least 75 people were killed and rankings injured, prosecutors said, with local government respectable Sebastien Humbert pronouncing Nice had been hit by using a “major criminal attack”.
Human beings shout and scattered as the truck veered down the palm-covered promenade in which thousands of adults and kids had gathered for the fireworks, walking closer to the well-known Negresco hotel. “For a massive truck like that to get genuinely onto the prom and then to head in a reasonably directly line alongside there, looked to me like a totally planned act,” Holloway said.
“It was about 100 metres from me and i had a few seconds to get out of the manner.”
French President Francois Hollande has declared it an “undeniable” terrorist attack.
Here is what we know about the attack so far:
- The big white truck plunged into the crowd at around 11:00pm (2100 GMT) Thursday night time as loads of people had been on Nice’s beachfront promenade des Anglais to see the fireworks for France’s National day.
2. Christian Estrosi, head of the nearby area, stated weapons and “larger weapons” have been found in the truck.
3. Hollande said as a minimum 77 people inclusive of children have been killed after the truck ploughed kilometres (1.3 miles) through the crowd, who had simply finished watching the firework show.
4. As report swirled on the web, interior ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet disregarded reports that people had been taken hostage.
5. The attacker has been shot lifeless, Hollande stated.
6. he’s yet to be named, but the identification papers of a 31-yr-antique French-Tunisian were located within the truck, consistent with a police supply. The papers suggest the person is a nice resident.
7. Prosecutors say the probe may be handled by using anti-terrorism investigators. “Investigations are presently underway to establish if the character acted on my own or if he had accomplices who might have fled,” Brandet stated.
8. Hollande announced that the state of emergency might be extended via 3 months and army reservists known as up to boost safety. The attackers come with France under a state of emergency following the Islamic state assaults in Paris in November that left 130 humans dead.
9. He additionally stated France would strengthen its role in Iraq and Syria, where it’s far part of the international coalition combating IS jihadists. He’ll chair a meeting of pinnacle army and security officers later Friday to determine possible further steps.
Share your thoughts in comments below
you may like